We aspire to be a positive influence and conscientious corporate citizen within our local communities.
At KAR Global, we believe that when our people and communities thrive, KAR thrives. With more than 130 operating locations across North America, the United Kingdom and Europe—and a customer base spanning about 75 countries—we have a broad footprint. So we understand the importance of doing our part to be responsible corporate citizens. We actively seek opportunities to better our communities while ensuring our companies and employees are equipped to deliver on our customer and shareholder commitments. KAR welcomes stakeholder feedback on ESG issues.
Environment & Sustainability
We aim to be conscientious stewards of the environment and natural resources, and vigilantly strive to ensure compliance with applicable environmental laws. We aspire to reduce our environmental impact and increase efficiencies through a variety of initiatives, and as our workforce evolves aim to continue implementing improvements that further reduce risks while optimizing economic benefits.
- Our marketplaces play a vital role in the lifecycle of vehicles, ensuring that used cars are upcycled and re-used.
- Our digital marketplace platforms help decrease the carbon footprint associated with remarketing used vehicles by reducing transportation of vehicles, the operation of vehicles on sale days, and total miles logged by customers driving to and from our physical locations.
- As our locations undergo modernizations, we strive to incorporate a variety of “green” initiatives as relevant and appropriate—from solar panels, lighting and occupancy censors and climate control efficiencies to recycled rainwater and water reclamation systems. We have also implemented initiatives to reduce and responsibly dispose of non-hazardous waste—from elimination of personal waste receptacles to use of shared printers and more, including increased availability of recycling bins.
Learn more about:
People & Community
Our employees are passionate about the work we do and the communities we live in. They are the driving force behind our culture and how we engage with our customers and communities—so we understand the importance of ensuring we’re working together in lockstep, and providing a work environment that sparks personal and professional growth while being safe and welcoming to all.
- KAR Global sees value in each and every person. We are committed to providing a work environment that appreciates diversity and does not tolerate discrimination under any circumstances. We aim to foster a culture of open dialogue while providing resources and support for team members of all races, genders, sexual orientation, abilities and religions.
- Our quarterly pulse survey provides employees an opportunity to share about their experiences, and helps pinpoint areas for improvement while holding leadership accountable and gauging whether we’re on track. Employees may also share feedback anonymously at any time via our virtual suggestion box.
- We offer employees professional development opportunities, including access to hundreds of on-demand, multi-lingual training content programs to further their development goals as well as employee resource groups that feature guest speakers, networking, mentoring and sharing best practices.
- We are proud to partner with many organizations in our communities, providing them financial, in-kind and volunteer support. Our corporate giving and community involvement is fueled by our philosophy, “We believe in second chances for cars, people and communities.”
Learn more about:
Health & Safety
When it comes to safety, KAR’s commitment to our employees, customers and communities is well known and well established. We adhere to industry-leading safety standards, and strive to go above and beyond with a “safety first” culture. We also believe safety should not be a proprietary issue, a competitive issue or an economic issue—but an industry responsibility.
- KAR launched our Safe T. Sam auction safety training program in 2013, and subsequently partnered with the National Auto Auction Association (NAAA) to bring the program to auction employees across North America. Now recognized as the industry standard in safety training, more than 129,000 auction employees have been certified or recertified since 2016.
- Our latest product innovations and technologies are built with an eye toward further enhancing safety and minimizing risk while bolstering customers’ outcomes. Our ADESA Simulcast+, ADESA VirtuaLane, ADESA DealerBlock, BacklotCars and TradeRev platforms each provide customers with fast, simple, effective and—most importantly—safe options for selling and buying used vehicle inventory without running vehicles through auction lanes.
Learn more about:
We are committed to high standards of ethical business conduct, data security and privacy as well as strong corporate governance practices. KAR expects high standards of business and professional conduct—both internally and by those with whom we do business. This commitment is highlighted by the practices described below as well as the information contained in the Governance section of this site.
- We understand that to be a true customer champion and to gain and preserve our customers’ trust, we must operate all facets of our business with integrity, from our Board of Directors and management to our workforce and our supply chain. All employees, regardless of geographic location, are expected to uphold the KAR Code of Business Conduct and Ethics. Employees receive annual training on the Code and related policies, and employees are also trained and encouraged to use the KAR Ethics Hotline for reporting potential policy, Code or ethics violations.
- KAR’s suppliers, vendors and other partners are required to adhere to our Supplier Code of Conduct, which outlines general expectations and requirements for behaving consistently with, and positively reflecting on, KAR’s values.
- As part of our commitment to leading the digital transformation of the auto remarketing industry, we understand the importance of safeguarding the privacy and security of customer data and personal information. Employees complete quarterly cybersecurity awareness training, and in 2021 KAR launched Privacy Pam, an industry-first employee training program focused on ensuring compliance with evolving privacy protection standards.
- We maintain security and privacy controls aligned with frameworks developed by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) and the International Standards Organization (ISO), and conduct SOC1 reports for several subsidiaries, including ADESA. We carry comprehensive cyber risk insurance.
- Our commitment to data security and privacy is demonstrated in our overall approach to governance. Our Chief Information Security Officer and Chief Privacy Officer incorporate security and privacy by design throughout the organization with strong support from management and our Board of Directors. Our Chief Information Security Officer reports quarterly to the Risk Committee of the Board on information security matters.
- The Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee of the Board of Directors provides oversight of ESG matters.
Learn more about: